Monday, October 20, 2008

Food Personalities

I do a lunch group thingy where random women/moms come over on tuesday. Their children fill up my living room (in which there is constant banging, happy squeals, occasional yelps mixed the the words of imaginations working hard) and the ladies all scrunch around my kitchen table piled with food we bring (which gets small very quickly). This week we are doing our personalities in food. I thought I'd share what I was.

I thought I was a fruit bowl. Not just any ordinary fruit bowl, we are talking about the ones made from a watermelon rind, with skewers of fruit chunks coming up in fashion designs on all sides of the bowl. Strawberries and blackberries and raspberries, some concord grapes and melon pieces and nectarine pieces drizzled with sugar-lemon juice. Yep. That's how I see myself.

Now some of my friends were not satisfied with that image. I don't know if its just too exciting for them, or if they just didn't see that as practical or ethnic. Or more likely, it reminded them of the business that makes those now, and I really don't seem to fall well into a business format. For whatever the reason, they thought I was sushi. I am down with sushi, in fact I really really like California rolls. I didn't think it fit me well, though, as it wasn't sweet. And even if I am not sweet, I like sweet food! I am not sure if I can let that go. Along with the fact I don't really think sushi has enough color. But I am okay with sushi if it has a big hibiscus flower on the side of its plate, and wasabi and ginger for garnishes. Not that I actually really like those, its more so it adds some color and spice. So, we agreed on sushi.

I decided to be sure of what I really was by taking some of those online quizzes. Yes, this is what I do all day *wink*. The first one said I was a tomato. Really? A tomato? That's kinda....boring. The reason it said I was a tomato was because "I am colorful but I have a hard time making up my mind and deciding on things." Hum. I just never realized tomatoes were indecisive before. But, I've learned since taking this quiz that I must be wrong. Tomatoes are the ESSENCE of indecisiveness, thank you cheesy online quiz for teaching me the truth!

Ironically, the next quiz I took said I was Mexican food because I am "spicy but dependable." Alrighty. I generally think of dependable and unable to make up your mind as opposites, but I guess they aren't. And I really am indecisive. And I generally am dependable, at least I try to be and think I am pretty faithful to my friends. Of course, this might have been a learned tribute as opposed to a natural characteristic. I don't feel bad when friendships come and go. Does that mean I am not dependable? And I don't always write e-mails back. Hum. Anyways, I do get the Mexican food. I was thinking maybe I could be Mexican food, but then I would have to fight my friend for it who I already declared was fajitas. I can't be fajitas because I don't like the veggies in them. But oh, I love Mexican food!

Lastly, I took a quiz of what junk food I am. Apparently, to them, I am Chocolate Kisses:

"You are creative, complicated and flirty, although perhaps a bit disorganized and unpredictable! You're a great example of a 'melt-in-your-mouth' personality wrapped up in a colorful package!"

You know, I would have never called myself Chocolate Kisses. Since when are Chocolate Kisses complicated? Unpredictable? Boring, yes, but unpredictable- um, no! I do agree with the "melt-in-your-mouth" aspect of Kisses. Though that could be kind to say about me, I am not too sure I melt in people's mouths. Innocently, of course. Or maybe its a mean thing. I am so little of anything I conform, melting away into what people want me to be until there is nothing left of me. Oh, that's bad!

Anyways, I am still trying to decide which of these things I really am. After all, this is our lunch tomorrow. Happily, I do not have to be defined by online quizzes which are made for people to post on their sites and feel better about themselves although none of their friends will ever read the quizzes (or at least not take them seriously). I guess we all have the incentive inside to want to like ourselves and identify ourselves. I think God does better at that than I do. Or, if we'd like, at least we have the option to go to lesser sources for our self-definitions such as online quiz gurus or our local Starbucks:

"The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!"
(Joe Fox, You've Got Mail)




No comments:

Post a Comment